(For more information, click here - http://thisibelieve.org/guidelines/)
Each of us wrote about a different topic that was important to us and then we each made an audio recording to submit to NPR for selection. The following is my essay, just as I read it this morning.
"This
I Believe: March 8, 2013
I
was given my first journal when I was 8 years old. It was a simple hardcover white journal,
1”x5”x8”. Its inside covers are vibrant
purple, my favorite color. Its front
cover features a little girl in a dress, her long blonde hair in pigtails, swinging
under a giant tree. On its blank white pages, I recorded life as I experienced
it; a little girl who also had long blonde hair and loved trees. My entries in that first journal are rife
with misspellings, clumsy handwriting, questionable choices of ink color, child-like
prayers, and lots and lots of stickers. It
is in many ways unremarkable. But that
journal is one of my most treasured possessions.
With
that simple child’s journal, I began a life-long habit of recording and
reflecting on my life through the written word.
As an introvert, my mind is always filled with a million questions, ideas
and emotions; an inner universe with its own perspectives on life, not all of
which require additional human presence for expression. What I love about journals is their boundless
generosity. There is no topic too
insignificant or too weighty for a journal.
My journals have accompanied me through long-distance moves and major
life transitions; through times of clarity and times of doubt. In a constantly changing life, my journals
may be the one constant companion I ever have.
The
people who know me best keep me well
supplied with journals as gifts. My
father has handcrafted me journals, my mother dedicates my journals with
beautiful calligraphy, my friends give me journals which remind me of them, my
mentors give me journals that affirm the potential they see in me. Reflecting the variety of people whose
relationships shape my life, no two of my journals are alike.
My
journals themselves are dear, old friends who at times know me better than I
know myself. Much more than the mere
sum of the accounts on their pages, my journals anchor my past through my
present; helping me to approach my future.
My journals reflect back to me more about myself than I can accomplish
with mere introspection – they reveal as much about my thought process as my
actual thoughts. My journals speak
loudly especially in my omissions – so much so that times when I find I am not
writing in my journal have become my cues that something in my life needs to
change.
Now
on my 14th volume, over a decade and a half of my life has been
recorded in journals. My journals
represent the rawest, most truthful expressions of my humanity. They see the best and worst in me, and invite
growth before I even know I need it.
Much like a tree is sustained by its roots, I am sustained by the
fullness of life recorded and reflected upon in my journals. They ground me and challenge me.
It is for these reasons that I believe in the
power of journaling."
That is so beautifully expressed, Kiva! I hope yours gets chosen. What a fine tribute to the gift and significance of journaling, honoring the value of your inner voice. So powerful!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mama
Wow, I love this essay and agree wholeheartedly! Lately I haven't been journaling as much as I used to and sometimes I wonder whether I'm "outgrowing" it or whether it's a sign I should be writing more (because as you note, that's often the case), but regardless, it's so important. -Katrina
ReplyDelete