Saturday, April 28, 2012

Suddenly Springtime?

All of a sudden it's the end of April.

Time continues to just fly by - my parents have come up to visit, Sarah's parents have come up to visit, and we've all been busy at work, figuring out our plot and starting some seeds for the community garden next door, and dealing with assorted house maintenance adventures as they come.  I joined Chicago Community Mennonite Church as an official participating member earlier this month and have started plugging into that congregation musically as well.  I reorganized the few items of furniture in my room in a fit of spring cleaning, and my housemates and I have gotten a free bicycle from a church member!  As summer approaches, we're gearing up for changes in pace with our site placements and community activities as Chicago comes out of winter hibernation to soak up as much outdoor fun as possible before next November strikes (I mean, October.... or maybe late September...).  Potts and Sarah and I have started  running in the neighborhood in the early morning hours, which is a habit I don't think I ever thought I would take up.  I actually even enjoy it a little, although I was quite sore the first mornings.

In the meantime, I am gearing up for what next fall is going to look like in Garfield Park without my current community members at my side.  I'm also navigating quite a few transitions at Sarah's Inn and structuring what a renewed contract with them as my site placement will look like for next year (where we also just got the results of an evaluation on one of our middle school programs done by a class at a local university!).  At first I thought I'd be staying in Chicago for seminary or graduate school, now it turns out that I'll be extending my year of service into a second year.  There's just too much life to be learning from and apparently not enough time in just 365 days.  Better make it 730, just to be sure.

Books completed for fun since last post:
Love Wins Rob Bell

Body Politics John Howard Yoder
Theology of Peace Paul Tillich
Nevertheless: Varieties of Religious Pacifism John Howard Yoder

Currently reading:
The Nonviolent Atonement J. Denny Weaver (2nd edition)

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your life and the books you're reading. Hope your community garden grows well. It was so special to visit you and see all around Chicago with you as tour guide, walking and riding the buses and trains. I especially enjoyed learning to know more about your neighborhood, eating at the cafe near your home, and meeting/experiencing your congregation.
    Love,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There's just too much life to be learning from and apparently not enough time in just 365 days. Better make it 730, just to be sure." Hahaha! I could hear your voice inflection in my head as I read this. So awesome. I admire how self reflective you are!

    ReplyDelete