Sunday, September 23, 2012

Transition Retreat - Closing out Year 1

This evening I have returned from a weekend in Abiquiu, New Mexico at Ghost Ranch (http://www.ghostranch.org/) for the PC(USA) Young Adult Volunteers program's Re-Entry or Transition Retreat.

The Transition Retreat is a time designed to assist YAV in transitioning from their year(s) of service to whatever their next step is - be it returning home, embarking on a new job, heading to school, or,  continuing onto a second year of service, the category that fits me.  It was a weekend of heavy processing, meeting new people (in my case, since I was not technically a YAV last year), and good support and time for worship.  This past weekend also marks my farthest western journey in the United States.

We spent much of this retreat discussing wilderness, and were in a desert setting to match.  Oddly enough, or perhaps poignantly, some of the scriptures used to shape this weekend were from Psalm 139 and the Gospel story of Jesus being tempted in the wilderness - the same scriptures I selected to preach from to my home congregation when giving my initial reaction to my first year of service in early August.

More detail will follow soon.  Below is a picture taken on a hike this past Saturday at Ghost Ranch (a hike to Chimney Rock - ironic for my Western North Carolina friends who know of another very different looking hike to a Chimney Rock).


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had this retreat time. It sounds very meaningful. Amazing about the use of the same scriptures. Those are special parallels. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you forge your way in this second year. May you be met in special ways, surprised by the Holy One with gifts needed at just the right moment :)
    Many blessings and hugs to you.
    Love,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would enjoy hearing more of your reflections from this new experience in a different kind of wilderness. You are on a good journey and I pray for your enjoyment in the journey of your lifetime! Blessings of peace, hope, and courage be yours as you so bravely press forward into a renewed time of people, places, and possibilities.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete