She encountered me halfway through the last leg of my commute home - the set of blocks from the train to my front door. She had a collapsed walker with wheels and was using it more like a single crutch, on one side only to support her labored gait. As many destitute, weary people do upon crossing my path as I walk or commute around Chicago, she asked for a couple of dollars. As is frequently the case of late, I was carrying no money on me. Wanting to be attentive to a fellow human being, I told her I didn't have money on me, but I did have a granola bar if she would like that. Over our five minute exchange, it became clear that she wanted a variety of toiletries and someone to accompany her to a store. If there had been a store anywhere nearby, I would have accompanied her gladly, but another truth is that Garfield Park does not have a plethora of Walgreens on every corner. She did not want food, and food was what I had. We went back and forth several times, each pleading our own truths to the other. She became frustrated and distraught by the time she turned to continue on her journey, and the impact of her complete despair and frustration hit me full force in the intimate space we had created on the sidewalk. I, too, struggled back tears for the rest of my heavy walk home.
I did not have adequate words, means, or wisdom to handle our encounter any differently, and all the well-meaning in the world was simply inadequate. This is not the first time I have had such an encounter, but there was a particular mutual emotional desperation that made this particular exchange hurt. Not my personal feelings so much as an empathy-hurt for the plight of the world that is currently the "reality of the world."
I know how systemic injustice is a huge thing that manifests itself in a multitude of small but significant ways, and this dear woman was a confluence of many of those small but significant injustices. Knowing this helps me sleep most nights and continue working towards dismantling systemic injustice, but it does not address the emotional desperation of an encounter between two human beings bound up in the same unjust systems, both offering and asking for help that is inadequate to the depth of suffering.
I do not know her name.
wow Kiva...amazing! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteVery powerful, sounds like a profound interaction. One idea is to prepare a "need kit"--just a ziploc bag with some random assortments of necessities in them that you can give out. I use to do that when driving around, and for the most part it was highly appreciated. I know the injustice you are experiencing is at a deeper and more complex level, but just a thought that was sparked by your story.
ReplyDeleteThanks David - it's a good suggestion! I think I've run through about 100 different responses I could have given in that moment since. [un]fortunately, I will probably have many more opportunities to try again while I'm here.
DeleteKiva, I am deeply touched by your profound commitment to interact with mutual respect. I am blessed by that. I'm sure she was, too. Even though you both were frustrated, at least you were engaging each other in a real way. That is a gift you gave each other...a true encounter. You heard each other.
ReplyDeleteLove and prayers always,
Mama
I completely empathize with this post. The way that you wrote this down is beautiful & better than anything I could have written. Very well done. Thank you for sharing!!!
ReplyDelete